Saturday, July 28, 2012

Settling In

Another day in England has passed. I finally got my official Olympics press pass, and I'm proudly wearing it around London. I love feeling official!


I'm losing track of the time and falling more and more in love with this place. It's calm, peaceful, and historic but somehow still modern and metropolitan. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to leave. 



Today Hillary and I went to the Olympic fencing match, where Lexingtonian Lee Kiefer competed. She made it through the first three rounds, but lost in the third. I was excited to see someone from my area go so far! I wore patriotic colors on purpose to support Team U.S.A.


I don't usually think of myself as a particularly patriotic person, but something about the Olympics brings out that national pride. I find myself wanting to wear red, white and blue and chant, "U-S-A! U-S-A!" like these guys:




And I'm not the only one who's feeling patriotic these days:
What is it about the Olympics that brings out this impulse in us? Is it our competitive spirit? Do we want to beat the other nations?

I don't think so.

I think it's that basic human drive to connect, to be a part of something bigger than yourself. The Olympics bring us together. They don't pull us apart. 


Call me sentimental if you like, but I'm drinking it all in. We all make the Olympics, and together we can inspire a generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment