Sunday, June 6, 2010

The storm drain ate my cell phone.

Seriously. I went for a run yesterday, and as I was turning the corner on my block, my cell phone suddenly flew out of my hand and flung toward the pavement. I watched helplessly as it clattered down the storm drain and into the sewer.


I stood there for about five minutes, shouting, "Oh crap. Crap! Oh crap, crap, crap!"

But once I came to terms with my inability to fix the situation with Command-Z, I raced home and used our landline to call the guy who always swoops in to save the day:


He came back from work as fast as possible. We went to the scene of the accident, pulled off the manhole cover, and peered down into the darkness. It was smelly and dirty and filled with cobwebs, but there at the bottom, we could see my LG Vu.

So Dad jumped fearlessly down and got my phone. I have never been so thankful for an object while also totally grossed out by it. (Thank goodness for germ-x!)

I was impressed that Dad had braved the spiders and the sewage for me, so I hugged him and apologized for making him go down. He just smiled and said, "Baby, I would do that ten more times to get a sermon illustration that good."

2 comments: